Change to restrictions mean NSW Halls may open soon
03 June 2020
The NSW Government released information on Tuesday 2 June about the next phase of the use of Halls and Community Centres from 13 June 2020, which is good news for Girl Guides. However, there are important rules and considerations to follow, below, before making the decision to re-open the Hall.
Sites Managed By Girl Guides
In short, these are the changes that will apply from 13 June in NSW for Hall and Community Centre access and use, and what this means for Girl Guides:
- Guides Halls and Community Centres in NSW can reopen from 13 June, 2020 if they choose
- The ‘4 Square Metre Rule’ applies for maximum numbers
- A maximum number of 10 people per group only applies to fitness (including Pilates and yoga) or dance groups. This therefore applies to any of your external hirers in NSW with this kind of activity; they must be informed of this regulation if you wish to reopen your hall for subhire
- The opening of a hall (Guide Hall or Community Hall) is entirely up to the owner/manager of the hall
- Physical distancing and hygiene rules apply. Please follow the guidelines and checklists provided
Checklists, poster downloads, infographics and more may be downloaded from Running Your Unit.
For Sites Managed By Other Parties
Units and Districts who meet in a Community Centre, Hall, School, Church Hall etc. in NSW that is owned/managed by someone else:
Primary Considerations Before Deciding to Return to Your Hall for Face to Face Meetings.
- Please check with your contact for the hall (if you are in a leased hall or community centre) to establish if they are in fact opening at this time and what their COVID19 plan is for hirers
If your Hall is not opening or your Unit, District or Region are choosing to start face to face Guiding at a later time
- Returning to face to face Guiding decisions are made at Unit, District and Region levels. Please ensure that the Guide Leaders who meet in your hall have chosen and are able to return to face to face Guiding, and be aware that girls themselves may also choose to not return to face to face Guiding yet. These decisions will be contingent on localised variables
- Returning to face to face Guiding is an individual choice. Everyone needs to feel safe
- Based on the ‘4 Square Metre Rule’, does your Hall accommodate your whole Unit including Leaders and Helpers? For example, if your Hall is 40sqm this allows for 10 people. If it does not accommodate your whole Unit then your Unit should not re-open, or you may wish to conduct Guides over two separate sessions
- If returning, decide:
- who will clean and prepare the hall based on the hygiene and physical distancing checklists.
- Who will organise cleaning and hygiene products for Girl Guide meetings at the hall?
- Remember you can continue to meet online and/or enjoy outdoor activities together (10p maximum in NSW, 20 in ACT and up to 100 in NT) while following the physical distancing and personal hygiene rules
- For additional specific questions about Hall use and hiring out your Hall please read these FAQs
- Contact Jenny at Girl Guides NSW, ACT & NT for any further questions you may have on firstname.lastname@example.org or 1300 447 548
- Questions about external hirer arrangements or your contract with a community hall not managed by Guides contact Girl Guides NSW, ACT & NT's Property Team at email@example.com or 1300 447 548