Illa Langi is situated on the Paterson River, about 5klm from Vacy. The Paterson River rises in the springs, high up under the southwest edge of the Barrington Tops. The Paterson joins the Allyn River at Vacy and the Hunter River near Morpeth.
The campsite was originally the Fisher’s Hill School (Bunna Bunoo) established in 1871. After celebrating its centenary in 1971, the school closed shortly after and then purchased by the Chichester and Hunter Valley Guide Association in 1978, when the property became “Illa Langi” meaning Camp on The Hill.